Wednesday 18 February 2015

Ladybird books

                          

Just look at these book covers - how do they make you feel?

I was transported back to very early childhood and learning to read, and to a time which I had thought I had forgotton. So nostalgic and so very calming, back to a time of endless summer and looking for crickets. To my five year old self whose memories of are very sketchy and have almost completely disappeared.

Ladybird by Design is a beautiful exhibition currently running at the De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill-on-Sea.

The children loved it. A loved the book 'Shopping with Mother', P loved seeing the 'old-fashioned books', my friend and I loved naming the ones we had owned, the ones we remembered and the ones our sisters coveted. It was a completely delightful afternoon. I might just have to go back.

For one hundred years, Ladybird books have delighted children, their parents, grandparents and teachers alike, taking readers on a journey of discovery and enlightenment. Affordable and accessible, Ladybird books hold a significant and affectionate place in the collective psyche of the nation, conjuring up, through written word and illustration, life in Britain in more innocent times.

No comments:

Post a Comment